Caramel Slice by Nadia at "the Good Food Cook" | This Naturally Sweet Life: Caramel Slice by Nadia at "the Good Food Cook"

Thursday 23 October 2014

Caramel Slice by Nadia at "the Good Food Cook"

Because I've been doing mainly writing posts as I work through the series How Our Family Went Refined Sugar Free, I thought I would share a review on a great recipe that a family member came across and asked me to try.

Since going refined sugar free one of my biggest challenges is finding recipes that actually taste good.  Let's be honest: sometimes I think people who no longer eat sugar have lost their taste buds.  I know I'm one of those non-sugar eating people, but so often I try a recipe that has been labelled "tastes exactly like the real thing" and find that it tastes nothing like the real American brownies I was attempting to make.  I've had more fails than I can count attempting new recipes and I've thrown a lot of food in the bin because it was inedible.

One of my markers of success is when I can feed a naturally sweetened, refined sugar free recipe to a white sugar eating friend or family member and they tell me how incredible it was.  That was the response I got with this one. 

Healthy Date and Cashew Caramel Slice 
from Nadia Lim 
at The Good Food Cook





This yummy, satisfying Caramel Slice was amazing!  The rich, gooey caramel was complimented by the dark, bitter chocolate that created an indulgent, but healthy dessert.

A sugar loving friend thought this was fabulous.  She was at my house while I was making this, and she was very dubious.  The caramel is very "datey" as it's cooking (dates being the main ingredient in the caramel).  But once it's chilled and set, it truly tastes like a very decadent caramel slice!

My family, including the sugar eating ones, devoured it!

It's quite time consuming, takes a fair amount of effort, and probably isn't for novice bakers, but if you're up for the challenge, try this one.  It's worth your effort!



No comments:

Post a Comment